Healthbox launches in the UK
European healthcare accelerator Healthbox opened its doors earlier this week, and they've announced the seven startups participating in their inaugural class.
Healthbox was founded by US venture firm Sandbox Industries. The first program began in Chicago earlier this year, followed by a second program, with health insurer Blue Cross Blue Shield, in Boston. Healthbox UK is just the latest expansion for the accelerator program.
The startups at Healthbox UK get £75,000 in seed capital and access to Healthbox's mentors and network. For the next 3 months, they'll be working out of The Hub in Westminster, London.
Healthbox says they received applications from 20 countries, including the UK, Germany, Argentina, Denmark, Greece, Ireland and Scotland.
Applicants primarily fell into three categories: 23% developed patient-focused technologies promoting wellness and prevention, specifically through influencing consumer behaviour, data management or biometric tracking; 4% proposed new technologies for tracking medication usage; and 2% are developing data privacy tools.
The seven startups in the inaugural class are:
- SportsClinicPlus (Kerry, Ireland): An online exercise tool to enable patients to recover quicker from injuries whilst reducing the probability of future chronic injury.
- Desktop Genetics (London, UK): Developing a DNA printer device, which provides users with rapid and reliable in-house DNA synthesis capabilities, vital to new drug research in oncology, infectious disease and regenerative medicine.
- HomeTouch (London, UK): Transforming the lives of older people and their carers by introducing multi-platform technology designed to foster engagement and monitor activity.
- Medopad (London, UK): A mobile health platform that securely delivers patient information directly to physicians.
- Portable Medical Technology (Cork, Ireland): Develops apps for medical specialists to reduce medical errors, improve efficiencies and patient communication.
- MIRA Rehab (Cluj-Napoca, Romania): Helps patients with temporary physical disabilities recover quickly through technology and video-gaming.
- SOMA Analytics (Munich, Germany): An intelligent smartphone application for the treatment and management of stress.
For more on Healthbox, go to: www.healthboxaccelerator.com